Design elements - UML composite structure diagrams
The vector stencils library "UML composite structure diagrams" contains 36 symbols for the ConceptDraw PRO diagramming and vector drawing software.
"The key composite structure entities identified in the UML 2.0 specification are structured classifiers, parts, ports, connectors, and collaborations.
(1) Part : A part represents a role played at runtime by one instance of a classifier or by a collection of instances. The part may only name the role, it may name an abstract superclass, or it may name a specific concrete class. The part can include a multiplicity factor, such as the [0..*] shown for Viewer in the diagram.
(2) Port : A port is an interaction point that can be used to connect structured classifiers with their parts and with the environment. Ports can optionally specify the services they provide and the services they require from other parts of the system. In the diagram, each of the small squares is a port. Each port has a type and is labelled with a name, such as "var", "indVar1", or "view" in the diagram. Ports may contain a multiplicity factor, for example.
Ports can either delegate received requests to internal parts, or they can deliver these directly to the behavior of the structured classifier that the port is contained within. Public ports that are visible in the environment are shown straddling the boundary, while protected ports that are not visible in the environment are shown inside the boundary. All the ports in the diagram are public, except for the view port along the right boundary of FibonacciSystem.
(3) Connector : A connector binds two or more entities together, allowing them to interact at runtime. The connector is shown as a line between some combination of parts, ports and structured classifiers. The diagram shows three connectors between ports, and one connector between a structured classifier and a part.
(4) Collaboration : A collaboration is generally more abstract than a structured classifier. It is shown as a dotted oval containing roles that instances can play in the collaboration.
(5) Structured classifier : A StructuredClassifier represents a class, often an abstract class, whose behavior can be completely or partially described through interactions between parts." [Composite structure diagram. Wikipedia]
The example "Design elements - UML composite structure diagrams" is included in the Rapid UML solution from the Software Development area of ConceptDraw Solution Park.