"Social media technologies take on many different forms including magazines, Internet forums, weblogs, social blogs, microblogging, wikis, social networks, podcasts, photographs or pictures, video, rating and social bookmarking. Technologies include blogging, picture-sharing, vlogs, wall-posting, music-sharing, crowdsourcing and voice over IP, to name a few. Social network aggregation can integrate many of the platforms in use.
By applying a set of theories in the field of media research (social presence, media richness) and social processes (self-presentation, self-disclosure), Kaplan and Haenlein created a classification scheme in their Business Horizons (2010) article, with seven different types of social media:
1. collaborative projects (for example, Wikipedia),
2. blogs and microblogs (for example, Twitter),
3. Social news networking sites (for example, Digg and Leakernet),
4. content communities (for example, YouTube and DailyMotion),
5. social networking sites (for example, Facebook),
6. virtual game-worlds (e.g., World of Warcraft),
7. virtual social worlds (e.g. Second Life)." [Social media. Wikipedia]
The example "Bank social media response flowchart" was created using the ConceptDraw PRO diagramming and vector drawing software extended with the Social Media Response solution from the Collaboration area of ConceptDraw Solution Park.